Your success has been our goal all along…
Not every training institution offers a guarantee to their students,
but the Kelowna College of Professional Counselling is doing just that.
Although we cannot guarantee job placements, we go the extra mile to prepare you for employment, beginning with the admissions interview, continuing throughout the program, and even beyond graduation. For the first year after earning your Diploma in Applied Psychology and Counselling, KCPC will offer free refresher courses to help you maintain the level of competence employers expect.
How does that work? Our role in your career development is to train you to become a professional counsellor. So if during your job search or while starting a new position, you feel there are gaps in your skills or knowledge related to subjects covered in the Diploma program, we’ll work with you to fill that gap by providing free refresher courses.
Why would KCPC make this claim? The broad scope of training you receive is designed to teach skills applicable to real-life counselling situations. Here’s a sample of the marketable skills you’ll learn:
- Commitment to Ethical Standards, and Scope of Practice.
- Application of basic techniques and Counselling Theories such as: Person-Centered; Cognitive/ Behavioral; Integrative; Existential; Psychodynamic; Motivational Interviewing; Adlerian; and Psycho-Social Development.
- How to conduct Clinical Assessments & Mental Status Exams.
- Develop and maintain a Therapeutic Alliance.
- Counselling youth, families, and couples
- Treatment planning & Case Management.
- Crisis & Suicide Risk Assessment and Intervention.
- Specialized counselling skills for: grief; addictions; abuse/domestic violence; depression and anxiety disorders.
- Group counselling and workshop design.
- Identify mental disorders referenced in the DSM.
- Other areas of specialized practice offered in Elective courses.
Will this help you find a job? We want employers to recognize you as a ‘preferred applicant’-- someone who is ready to go to work as a competent member of their staff. Give us the names of agencies you’re applying to, and we’ll send them a letter describing the scope of your training and recommending you for employment with their organization.