Your success has been our goal all along…
Not every training institution offers a guarantee to their students,
but the Kelowna College of Professional Counselling is doing just that.
Although we cannot guarantee job placements, we go the extra mile to prepare you for employment, beginning with the admissions interview, continuing throughout the program, and even beyond graduation. For the first year after earning your Diploma in Applied Psychology and Counselling, KCPC will offer free refresher courses to help you maintain the level of competence employers expect.
How does that work? Our role in your career development is to train you to become a professional counsellor. So if during your job search or while starting a new position, you feel there are gaps in your skills or knowledge related to subjects covered in the Diploma program, we’ll work with you to fill that gap by providing free refresher courses.
Why would KCPC make this claim? The broad scope of training you receive is designed to teach skills applicable to real-life counselling situations. Here’s a sample of the marketable skills you’ll learn:
- Commitment to Ethical Standards, and Scope of Practice.
- Application of basic techniques and Counselling Theories such as: Person-Centered; Cognitive/ Behavioral; Integrative; Existential; Psychodynamic; Motivational Interviewing; Adlerian; and Psycho-Social Development.
- How to conduct Clinical Assessments & Mental Status Exams.
- Develop and maintain a Therapeutic Alliance.
- Counselling youth, families, and couples
- Treatment planning & Case Management.
- Crisis & Suicide Risk Assessment and Intervention.
- Specialized counselling skills for: grief; addictions; abuse/domestic violence; depression and anxiety disorders.
- Group counselling and workshop design.
- Identify mental disorders referenced in the DSM.
- Other areas of specialized practice offered in Elective courses.
Will this help you find a job? We want employers to recognize you as a ‘preferred applicant’-- someone who is ready to go to work as a competent member of their staff. Give us the names of agencies you’re applying to, and we’ll send them a letter describing the scope of your training and recommending you for employment with their organization.
Guarantee # 2.
KCPC guarantees that the comprehensive training you receive in the Diploma program will prepare you to pass the qualifying exam required as the first step toward earning the designation of Registered Professional Counsellor (RPC). This designation is conferred by the Canadian Professional Counselling Association. (For more on Registered Professional Counsellor (RPC) designation click here)
Why is an RPC designation important? An ‘RPC’ behind your name signifies to others that you are registered with a national mental health association to practice as a professional counsellor. This professional recognition will help you make the most of your career opportunities.
Why does KCPC make this claim? Because your success has been our goal all along. Since opening our doors in 2004, 98% of KCPC graduates, (who meet CPCA’s application criteria) have passed the qualifying examination the first try! If you were to have difficulty passing the CPCA exam, we will provide free refresher courses, and the support necessary to help you achieve a passing mark.
It’s as simple as that... You put in the effort to earn your Diploma of Applied Psychology and Counselling, and we’ll stand behind you as you take the first steps toward an exciting career as a professional counsellor.
NOTE: KCPC is an Associate member of the CPCA; we encourage our graduates to seek professional designation with this association. For information about application requirements and benefits of membership in the Canadian Professional Counsellors Association-- www.cpca-rpc.ca